Sunday, March 18, 2012

Something New

This weekend I did something totally new.  We packed up and went winter camping.  I love camping and backpacking in the summer, so this just seemed like the next natural progression.  Those in attendance included myself, Banks and Allie.  We decided to leave Shy at home, with the temperatures hovering around 0-10 at night I didn't think she'd do well.  So...she got a spa weekend at the kennel instead. Kristin and Travis came along with Bank's girlfriend, Raven.  We contemplated skiing in, but settling on snowshoes with Banks pulling one sled of gear and Travis pulling in the other sled...with some firewood in it. We headed down to Turnagain Pass, dumped out in the parking lot and got everybody all hooked up.  This was Bank's first time pulling anything other than me, and I have to say that he KILLED IT!  We could have carried pretty much everything, but part of me wanted to see if Banks would be interested in really pulling, and he was.  Travis, on the other hand, was not crazy about pulling a sled while having his pack on his back too.  I headed out first on snowshoes cutting a trail for Banks who was following with Allie and Kristin behind him and his sled.  Raven was frolicking in the deep snow and Trav was bringing up the rear.  We picked a spot near the trees to protect us from wind and stamped out an area for our camp.  Allie, Banks and myself were in my 2-season tent (genius, I know, but didn't have time to buy a new tent beforehand) and Travis, Kris and Raven piled in the other tent.  We brought in a garbage can lid to build our fire on, so Travis went to work on that and in no time at all we had a blaze going.  Dinner was delicious Mountain House freeze dried meals.  And I seriously mean delicious...beef stroganoff is the deal!  The dogs chowed down and Banks curled up next to my chair...one tired pup.  It was a perfectly clear night and we were able to see every star in the sky, the constellations as well as a couple planets.  No Northern Lights show though.  Bummer...hopefully next time.  After some rum spiced cider (best idea ever) we turned in.  I wouldn't say that I was necessarily comfortable, but I did sleep.  At one point I was shivering and Banks got up and came and laid across me.  At home he doesn't cuddle during the night because he's too hot...so I'm sure that he knew that I was cold.  I love that dog.  Not only is he the best, but thankfully he is also a 4 legged portable heater!
     Overall it was a great experience and I can't wait to do it again.  My goal is to get out with the pups on a multiday sled/snowshoe winter backpack.  Ideally to some hot springs!
This is the blurry video of Banks and Travis.  I left the GoPro at home (was too excited packing up to go, I guess) so this is done with an iPhone.


Part of camp.  And yes, that IS a box of wine.

Banks taking a much deserved cool off.

Allie had to carry all the dog food and fish.  Not sure if she had much fun, we think she would have been ready to head to the car at a moment's notice.

Cook Inlet the morning after we snowshoed out.

No comments:

Post a Comment